Named after Goddess Morjai, Morjim is a tiny town located in the Pernem Taluka of North Goa and situated on the northern bank of the Chapora River. It is home to the Olive ridley sea turtles & a variety of birds as well. Morjim is famously known as ‘Little Russia’ or ‘Morjimograd’ due to the concentration of Russian expatriates living there.
This is also a popular place for birding enthusiasts, Dolphin sighting, and the Kalas Festival held at the Morjai temple, once every two years.
HOW TO GET THERE
- From Dabolim Airport: Kms: 50 via road
Duration: 1 hr 24 mins
- From Madgaon Railway Station: Kms: 61 via road
Duration: 1 hr 47 mins
- From Panjim: Kms: 27 via road
Duration: 55 mins
BEST TIME TO VISIT
The best time to visit Morjim is from November to March.
WHAT TO EAT
Restaurants in Morjim:
- Jardin d’Ulysse
- Divine Gypsies
- Nanu’s Multi-cuisine Restaurant & Bar
- La Cucina
- The Tibet Cafe
WHAT TO SEE
Sightseeing places in Morjim:
Morjim Beach – the Morjim beach is balmy and rejuvenating with its white sand and picturesque setting. This beach is one of the best & the most tranquil beaches in Goa. It is famous as a nestling ground for Olive Ridley Sea Turtles. This beach offers a plenty of things to do besides water sports adventures & is filled with Russian tourists.
Morjai Temple – It is an ancient historical Hindu temple located in Morjai & is dedicated to Goddess Morjai. The walls of the temple are adorned with rare & extinct ‘Kaavi’ art friezes. The main festival celebrated at this temple is ‘Kalas Utsav’.
THINGS TO DO
- Water Sports such as Kitesurfing, boat rides, jetskiing etc. at Morjim Beach.
- Camel rides & swimming at Morjim Beach.
- Bird Watching & Dolphin Sighting.
- View Olive Ridley Sea Turtles at Morjim Beach (seasonal).
- Cruising on Chapora River.
- Russian souvenirs, clothes, local dresses, shoes, seashell bangles etc. at Morjim Beach.